The most-abused gadget...

I have a smart phone. But I am not smart enough to know what all (not even 10%) it is capable of! I wish to believe I am not alone in this (rather big!) group.

Of course I am not that dumb (as you may like to imagine of me!). At least I know how to make calls and receive calls (very basic, right?), use WhatsApp, Viber, Messenger, see my facebook page, browse through some news portals etc. (Am I making you jealous!). But, if you ask me what each and every app is comprised of (the nuances of it), you will beat me hands down. No need to envy me! Yes, I know the basic things. For example, I do not know how to prevent some annoying feeds that crop up in my fb page. I just ignore them and scroll down. Only recently I learnt how to make 'free calls' through Viber. I get video calls on WhatsApp from my son, but I do not know how to call him (video call). Hey! I am a slow learner! Okay....

I still do not know how to see my personal mail inbox on my phone. (May be I am a bit lazy to learn!). I prefer to see my mails in my laptop. In short, I do not keep pace with the GenNext.

Now-a-days, people are obsessed with social media apps to such an extent one cannot imagine the extent. Recently I saw a news in newspaper about a wife's indulgence in 'fb' which led to her suicide. Is it worth? About a couple of days back, two people were knocked down (to their untimely deaths) by a speeding train when they were looking at their mobile phones with the headphones on and crossed the railway track... Are they so blind and deaf to what is happening around them?

In China, in some big malls, they are creating special footpath where you can walk unhindered (while looking at your phone). A path dedicated for such crazy acts! I don't know whether you may bump on another guy looking at his phone, and knock him down, as you are partially blind during your 'mobile grazing odyssey'!

I have seen an advertisement in which a father and his son of about 8 years keep looking at their phones respectively. The mother prepares some snacks and calls them out to eat but to no avail! They are deaf to the outside world! She sends a message on WhatsApp (or Viber) that evening snacks is ready. Then the father and son look up from the phones and start eating! No personal touch.... So near; yet so far.....

As they say, 'information is wealth'. So much of information is available in the internet. Though lot of people benefit by browsing through the wealth of information, most of the people use the internet for wrong reasons. A porter in Kerala recently passed some competitive exam using the internet (in his spare time). Most of the children these days are glued to the mobile screen, playing games. Forty was the age those days people start wearing power glasses but now age ten is common for wearing spectacles.

I have come across a joke in a movie. The father asks the daughter 'why she is browsing through the 'net' all the time'. She says, 'there is nothing that the internet cannot find'. The father asks, 'where is Veerappan (a forest brigand who was hiding in the jungle)?' She blinks!

There is another crazy thing carried out on the mobile - taking 'selfie'. It goes beyond limits and often goes out of control. People taking selfies standing on the cliff and in very dangerous positions, resulting in fateful deaths..... What is the point? They unduly risk their lives. We hear about this craziness every day.....

You can see a lot of two-wheeler-riders holding the mobile (between the ear and chin) by tilting the head to one side (while driving). Speaking on the move is prohibited. But of course we love to 'break the rules'. Besides exposing us to the radiation hazards (not conclusively proved yet...), it is an obvious risk to end up with some nerve-related ailment. Please avoid such practices. If you need to reach your destination urgently, ignore the phone. If the phone message is important, then park the vehicle on the road-side, complete the conversation and then proceed on your journey.

I read in a book sometime back that there is an 'app' to quench thirst! Sheer nonsense, isn't it? To quench thirst, you simply have to take water. As simple as that!

Smart phone is a wonderful gadget, if used sensibly. But unfortunately a lot of people abuse the instrument. Let us be sensible....

Comments

  1. Your words are very true... People have lost the emotional attachment with in their own family bcoz of these gadgets.. everywhere the Gadgets are dominating.. and most of our feelings are left unseen..

    ReplyDelete
  2. True . How to make ppl.sensible? Should fix rules to take part in nature related activities like walking in a forest, growing trees,bathing in falls, playing outdoor games, involving in social activities etc...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

மனம் மிக அலை பாயுதே....

Mental Ability..... are we slowly losing....?

Is it humanly possible....?